Penn State Scranton promotes random acts of kindness

A post it note with a message to be kind is displayed on a bulletin board

The Wall of Kindness at Penn State Scranton featured messages of positivity, kindness and goodwill written by students to the Penn State Scranton community as a way to spread happiness and a feeling of belonging throughout campus earlier this spring. The "Random Acts of Kindness" initiative, which also included "PAWS-itive" Post-it Notes window, was spearheaded by Assistant Teaching Professor of Arts and Humanities Jim Hart and Coordinator of Counseling Services Sarah Smith.

Credit: Morgan Sewack

DUNMORE, Pa. — To help foster a culture of kindness and connectivity, Penn State Scranton launched a Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) initiative this spring spearheaded by Assistant Teaching Professor of Arts and Humanities Jim Hart and Coordinator of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Sarah Smith.

Hart got the inspiration for the program after seeing a segment on NBC's "Today Show" that featured random acts of kindness.

“I immediately thought that I would like to bring this project to our campus,” he said.

After reaching out to Jennifer Cheavens of Ohio State University, who was featured in the story, Hart enlisted Smith to join him in the endeavor.

Smith, who had prior experience with similar initiatives, including a "PAWS-itive" sticky notes window on campus, said, “This campus already has a welcoming vibe. We wanted to be sure to work with the great base of kindness already here and add to it.”

The initiative, which included a variety of activities such as a week of acts of kindness, aimed to benefit students both inside and outside the classroom. Ongoing initiatives, including kindness journals, are also playing an important role inside of Hart’s classroom.

“Because one of my Communication Arts and Sciences (CAS) 100A courses is an honors class, the students must do an additional project. I felt the journalling would fit,” he said. “One lesson is that it is very easy to be kind. One small act of kindness can really shift not only your own mood but the mood of someone around you.”

Survey results from student participants in the class showed a slight increase in intentional acts of kindness, with students reporting feelings of joy, happiness, inspiration and usefulness.

Elizabeth Anolfo, a first-year student majoring in secondary education, is currently taking Hart’s class and shared her experience with the kindness initiative, expressing how it has impacted her daily interactions.

“I always try to be kind whenever, but even throughout the class I saw myself being more kind and feeling like I have a purpose," said Anolfo. "Doing little acts are sometimes more important than doing big acts. Being kind to everyone and anyone is just such a small thing, but it can bring a smile to someone who's having a bad day. It can really show that someone does care, and someone actually appreciates you.”

“I always try to be kind whenever, but even throughout the class I saw myself being more kind and feeling like I have a purpose. Doing little acts are sometimes more important than doing big acts. Being kind to everyone and anyone is just such a small thing, but it can bring a smile to someone who's having a bad day. It can really show that someone does care, and someone actually appreciates you.”

—Elizabeth Anolfo , first-year secondary education major at Penn State

Anolfo also emphasized the importance of integrating kindness at all school levels, noting that it “brings out the good in people that I feel like we’ve lost.”

Smith echoed the sentiment, emphasizing the importance of social connection in mental health. “Increasing social connection through activities like our AOK project will help decrease the factors that contribute to the current crisis with youth and young adult mental health.” 

Reflecting on the initiative, Hart shared his hope for the campus community: “My mom always said, ‘it doesn't cost a nickel to be kind.’ You never know what people are going through. A simple act of kindness could make a person's day.”

As the Random Acts of Kindness initiative continues to unfold at Penn State Scranton, it serves as a reminder of the transformative power of kindness in building a supportive and compassionate community, highlighting the campus’ impact on fostering a welcoming and inclusive campus for all.