It's Showtime...The Interview
- Research, research, research!
- Know the organization's major products/services.
- Chain of command.
- Appropriate salary ranges.
- Job requirements of the position you are applying for.
- Know your strengths.
- Your long- and short-term goals
- Prepare a list of questions to ask.
- Confirm date, time and place of interview.
- Dress appropriately; good grooming
- Be on time (five minutes early)
- Maintain eye contact.
- Be pleasant and courteous.
- No nervous habits (tapping foot, smoking, etc).
- Allow interviewer to take the lead in questioning.
- Select words carefully - take a few seconds to prepare an answer, and then respond.
- Avoid slang.
- Do not criticize past employer.
- Maintain a positive attitude - no negatives.
- Attempt to limit responses to 60 seconds each.
- Attend to non-verbal cues.
- Tell what you do well.
- Say 'thank you'.
- Make notes soon after leaving the interview.
- WRITE THANK YOU NOTES!
- Follow up with contacts.
- Consider changes for future interviews.